Thursday, December 4, 2014

Self-Doubt- The Devil's Favorite Game


Guys, let’s just get completely honest and raw here for a bit…

Self-Doubt- the devil’s favorite game.      That is what my mind has been completely filled with these past few months. 

As you all may know, just when we announced and just when we were about to start the process we found that we would need to move to be in the same place for the duration of the adoption.  Well God definitely showed up and worked that out in an unbelievable and blessed way.  Our house is amazing and fantastic, and I can’t wait to raise a child here.   That being said it meant a delay for being able to start our adoption process because of finances.  Just coming out of debt from Student Loans, also having to stay at home currently and not work full time because of the unpredictability of my health, and a part time job opportunity/business investment that we plugged some money up front into not working out… we wanted to make wise financial decisions going into this adoption being debt free-which after the house and expense of the move we had to work on some. 

SO a lot of that stuff has been going on.   

During this time I often begin to doubt.   I begin to wonder if we’ll ever be able to adopt.  I begin to wonder if I’ll ever become a mom.   I see and get to love on other kids, but my heart silently breaks to a million pieces- because we haven’t started this process, because I start thinking of our future child, and just how impossible it all seems.   I begin to doubt the whole adoption process and all of the difficult steps and think about what ifs for bio kids, what if we had a bio kid first.  But I know this is a closed door that I shouldn’t even try to peak through, and unfortunately not even an option for us right now because of my health.  But my heart still breaks with the anticipation of one day loving a child and the self-doubt- so much self-doubt at this impossible seeming dream. 
  
From there the devil moves on to more self-doubts about finances.  “You’ll never raise enough money.”  “International adoption eh?  Those are expensive…. Why don’t you just do foster to adopt…. It’s a lot less money and kids here need families.”  “You’ll never raise enough money” “Are you sure God has called you to Asia/International adoption?”  “You’ll never raise enough money.” “That’s a lot to ask of other people”  “That’s a huge endeavor.” “Nobody is going to want to buy your ugly paintings.” “You’ll never raise enough money.” “Why don’t you wait several years when you’re more financially stable to adopt?” “You’ll never raise enough money.”  “You’re just being selfish wanting to adopt, isn’t that like buying a kid?” “Adoption costs too much, you should just have one the natural way and forget it.” “You’ll never raise enough money.” “This isn’t going to happen.”

Well you know what Mr. Devil?   My God is Greater.   He is greater than all of the self-doubts. He is healer of the broken hearts.  His plans are better than mine.  He knew I would get sick.  He knew bio wouldn’t be our plan one at first.  All of the money in the world is His.  All of the people in the world are His.  All of the children in the world are His- whether in the US, Africa, Asia, Europe.  They are all His.   Before they were born He KNEW them.   He had a plan for them. And He knows EVERY child deserves love, every child deserves a home.  They are all His children.  

So amidst the self-doubt in this time… I will choose to Trust Him.

And as I glance through pictures of waiting children, I can’t help but pray for our future child and look to where we are headed.  And know that somehow we will get there.  Please be in prayer for us during this time of waiting. 

Where he leads, I will follow, no turning back, no turning back…



Also be on the lookout,  
Very soon to come in the next blog- kickoff of our adoption fundraising- which I am excited about! And details of how you can help us in this process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment