Monday, January 19, 2015

I Jumped on the Band Wagon... My decision to use Essential Oils and why you should too!



By now I’m willing to bet that most everyone has at least heard something about these oils… but I’d like to tell you my take on it and why I really, really love them. 

I don’t really consider myself a hippy or a health nut. 

I’ve always made an effort even in my early teens before “organic” “non hormonal” “free range”  was popular, to eat that way.  Even when my roommates in college thought my Horizon milk was made of something weird and outlandish.  

I always made an effort to clean with things more natural.  This wasn’t always most convenient.  Picking up scrubbing bubbles would be much easier than mixing my own.   However I did this, because my body rejected the chemicals.  Rashes and difficulty breathing shouldn’t be the norm.  I began to question using some of those chemicals, and switched to more natural and also cheaper ways. I mean should we really be using something around our family and pets that cause reactions like that?  What are the long term consequences?  

I didn’t have to wait long, because soon books and even blogs advocating came out with those results of the use of chemicals.   This stuff in your lotions, your makeup that you wear on your face every day, your sunscreen, your bug spray, your shampoo, the chemicals you put on your pet, the chemicals in every single processed thing you eat, and even chemicals, wax and preservatives in your veggie and fruit choices.    Links to cancer, birth defects, disease, hormone disruption, and so many unknowns…..

The other side of things... 

In my brief experience with my health problems (my late diagnosed lyme)  I have come to find that not always can things be explained and treated by a pill or normal way.   I take a herbal treatment a regurally that my doctor prescribed for my treatment to avoid using so many antibiotics. For me antibiotics as long term as I would need them to help my body for this disease could come with some hefty side effects.  Since my diagnosis I’ve definitely learned a lot about my body, taking the best care of it I can, avoiding chemicals even more- I'm more sensitive to them now, and I've also come to learn that sometimes unconventional methods are a good option. 

I first heard of essential oils doing some research for household cleaning recipes.   They suggested using essential oils for the smells.   I thought oh, It’s just some kind of fragrance. I looked at my local Walmart to see if I could find any of these to no avail. (Haha Walmart! Looking back now) Eventually I ordered a cheap set on amazon to add to my laundry.   

I heard these might have some health benefits, but I had no idea how to use them for that, and really thought I never would. 

Some time after that is when my lyme diagnosis hit, and I had multiple health issues and symptoms pretty much always.   I would search anywhere for relief, and once again saw posts about these crazy oils.  Who knew they were actually for far more than just helping the laundry and cabinets smell better?

I looked into several different brands, and eventually landed on one I really liked the best- Young Living.  Sure there were cheaper, but I knew from my amazon order that they probably weren’t the best quality, and since I wanted to make sure I got the absolute best benefit for my symptoms, I definitely wanted to experience the “real deal” so to speak.  

I also found a friend that had just started selling for this company.  She told me about this thing called the “seed to seal promise,” how much she loved them, and how they were the only one she could recommend.  Most all oils claim to be “pure.”  They however don’t tell you about the fillers, and that they could only include 5% of the oil you are looking for.   Young living also has very strict growing standards.  I really began to feel comfortable with these oils.

I was still a huge skeptic! And very cautious..  And that’s ok.   I decided just to give them a try…. Wondering if they’d really actually work…  I thought well… if nothing else I guess it’ll at least be a nice (while a little expensive) healthier sub for some Febrese. Ha...



I wanted the full kit! It came with a diffuser- which I figured would be very very necessary and beneficial, and a way to reorder with a 24% discount.  Oh I definitely wanted that!  And it came with all of my starter oils (11) so I figured it would be a great way to start and really give them all a try for different things!

SO I got my first kit last May for my birthday and I’m so glad I did! (Ha and you say or I wouldn’t be writing this post)

I use my oils on the daily and am really enjoying trying and experimenting with new oils!
  
Why I’m not a skeptic anymore??

I decided not to be a skeptic when the first month I had them, I had some leaky sweet potatoes in the oven- burned my hand with the scorching oils leaked out.  It started to blister! I rubbed lavender on, and it stopped hurting immediately What the what???  As a natural klutz let me tell you nothing else has ever helped that.  Not Aloe, not cold water, not burn cream.   I’m talking no pain- and healing within the next day.   Ok this was some concrete evidence. 

So what do I use them for? 
I’ve used them for sleep, boosting my terrible immune system to help me prevent cold/flu, headaches which I get frequently, for curbing cravings, stress relief, stomach cramps and other problems, heart burn, muscle aches, natural facial care, cleaning, funky smells just to name a tiny few.   The list keeps growing and there’s too many to name! 

A winter without getting sick??? Yes Please!   My immune system is overworked with the lyme, and probably as bad as they come.  My friends always told me I should live in a bubble and take Flint-boulders instead of flinstone vitamins- just so you know where I'm coming from here.   

I started using my diffuser to make my home smell great a natural way, but also loved the added benefit of it actually boosting my family’s health!  I also use it at night to help with sleep or my immunity if I start feeling the least bit sick.

Another way you can use the oils is to dilute them in what they call a carrier oil (such as olive, coconut, almond oil), and rub them on certain spots recommended for the type of symptom.   I keep some made up for these purposes in roll-on bottles.  

What are they exactly?? 
  
Honestly first hearing of oils I thought it was a little weird…. Couldn’t you just grind up some herbs?  Wouldn’t it just be like concentrated lemon juice?  Ha Ha I had questions too I assure you. 
To give you the abbreviated explanation the essential oils are actually the “life-blood” so to say of the plant.  It’s what makes the plants healthy and gives them life.  It’s a pretty involved process.  Each oil is also very concentrated.  Let’s say we hear peppermint the plant is good to settle our stomach.  Totally not sure about the ratios here but instead of having to consume 15 peppermint plants, the oil is very concentrated so you get the same health benefit from a drop of oil.  
Scary?   For me no…   if you think about all the other things we put in our body and the air we breathe each day, essential oils seem pretty safe.   I mean…. All the side effects listed on those over the counter meds… those would be scary. 

Worth the expense??
I’d say so!   It’s a huge leap.   It was definitely one that I was a little afraid to take at first.  I know it’s expensive, and we definitely have to watch our budget like crazy without much room for extras.  However I would still say the oils are worth it.   How much other money do you spend on doctors visits for your family, over the counter meds, chemical cleaning products, air fresheners, candles, facial creams?   And I mean… I like to live without the pain of burns.  I’d also like to be healthy, feel better, and avoid being sick as much as possible.  

Why I sell->
Ok so yes I did become a distributor... but don't think I'm biased just because of that. It took me several months to try the oils, make sure they worked, and like them all before I'd recommend to anyone- especially friends. I do distribute oils now, and love it.  Mostly because I want to help people and tell them about these amazing products that helped me so much.  I definitely don't want to see sick kids- like I always was.  It's no fun.  Nobody should have to live like that. It's an amazing and supportive community that I love being a part of! Also I'm able to afford my growing oily addiction this way... yep it happens.  If you try them... just get ready.  Ha it's coming for you. 


So there you have it folks.  My take on essential oils.  
Let me know if you have any questions you've been dying to ask! I'd love to help!

(Also as a disclaimer- this page was simply to share my views on my essential oils, it was in no way meant to prescribe, take the place of medication, doctors, or treat anyone.)

No comments:

Post a Comment