Monday, July 7, 2014

A super LATE DIY Thursday Minimal Fireplace Makeover

A very LATE DIY Thursday...

Sorry folks, the past holiday weekend has been full of hustle and bustle.   How did everyone's fourth go?
Ours was great, but we were hosting a few events at our house, so I've been busy busy, and just now getting to post.   Definitely worth it though, was a great weekend!


This past week I completed my DIY in the form of a fireplace makeover.
We rent a really nice house that we are very blessed with from friends of the family.  However it does have some pretty dated touches here and there.   Some friends of ours that just boughta house, were discussing some of their simple redoes the past time we had a game night hosted at their house.    They told us about a high heat paint they used around their fireplace to cover up the gaudy brass, and then loaned us some since you really don't use a lot.  So I've been meaning to try this out the past couple weeks and just now got to it.

The old Fireplace before: (Wishing I would have gotten a picture of all of it, but snapped this one after I started.  You can get the idea...


The Paint used:






It's amazing what a little paint can do!



I repainted the entire stove area to cover up some rust spots and help it look fresh.   You only use a thin coat of paint however because if it's thick it can bubble under heat.    

I painted this picture, pretty similar to one I liked on Pinterest, I think it brings in some of the other colors from the room.   Michael's had these cute burlap canvases on clearance for 70% off + a coupon! Score!

And then I also painted this matchstick holder.   This guy was also the gaudy brass, but also had a picture of the Lord's supper or something on it... I couldn't quite figure it out.  I thought of taking it down, but was afraid of the hole in the brick.  Think it looks 100% better though.





There are many other things I would change if we weren't just renting and had money to invest- like oh completely different fireplace- the stove, but I think this is a pretty good touch for now.   Ha and if only I knew what could be done about those log cabin doors... goodness.  Anyone have any ideas?

Also stay tuned this week!  I finally finished editing over 700 England pictures!!... Don't worry I won't make you wade through all of those! But definitely expect the highlights in a post this week. (Sorry I'm only 2 months late :(  Sorry guys...
  And we also have some BIG news coming soon.... hints to all those mysterious big news in my about section and FAQ.  SO stay tuned!  It might be this week or next...

No comments:

Post a Comment