Thursday, June 26, 2014

DIY Thursday: Back Porch Chalkboard

Well... I am officially a little late.  I apologize for skipping out on last week.  Things have been kinda CrAzY busy this past week.  I know you guys understand!

This week's DIY Thursday is  drumroll.... Seasonal Chalkboard Art.


A few years back I purchased a dresser on craigslist... I refinished the dresser for extra storage in our living room.   But the dresser also came with an entire bedroom suit... that actually included a really uggly really big mirror.  You know... the type with some kind of stuff in the glass... the brown film that no matter what Pinterest tries to tell you, won't come off.    Well I really didn't have a use for my mirror... so in the garage it sat.

Last year around this time.... I completely remade it, into a chalkboard, to hang out on my porch, that I can change with the seasons.  It's one of my favorite features of the back porch now... It always adds new interest for very cheap... I mean the price of chalk... 50 cents?

I apologize because I do not have before and after pictures of my chalkboard unfortunately.  Definitely should have taken those!  But I guess it was Before Blog....

I will show you the board through the seasons.... and my current new favorite design for summer.

Also if anyone wonders all I did was paint with a homemade white chalk paint that I made using plaster of paris and a flat latex paint in an antique white color.    I scuff sanded the sides just a little and painted.  

Tip from experience: Trust me use a primer on the glass the first time! You'll thank me later.    If you do not it will rub off.

For the chalkboard part, tape off the already painted and dried frame, and then spray the mirror part with the primer.
I then used a can of chalkboard paint (different than "chalk" paint).  (I'm sure the spray kind might have been easier for this project, but I already had the other left from another project on hand).  
I let that dry the recommended amount of time, and did several more coats.

That's it!   Hopefully you'll have some inspiration for your next Goodwill Yard Sale find!


Also I know this wasn't a lot accomplished for this DIY, but it was something I've been meaning to switch over... it's definitely not spring anymore!  I have several other big projects I'm working on, so stay tuned!

Summer Chalkboard

Summer Chalkboard Design

Our Aussie Kaia hanging out on the back porch.  She loves to sneak into any and all pictures!




Fall Design

Winter Design


Spring Design 





No comments:

Post a Comment